Individuality is a crucial aspect to consider when parenting teenagers, as it plays a vital role in their development and overall well-being. Recognizing and embracing their individuality allows parents to foster a nurturing and supportive environment that promotes their growth and self-expression.
In this article, expert parent Anna explores the significance of accepting and embracing individuality in parenting teenagers. By understanding and appreciating each teenager’s unique qualities and needs, parents can cultivate traits such as altruism, compassion, benevolence, selflessness, gratitude, understanding, patience, and philanthropy. Through conscious and mindful parenting strategies, such as cultivating emotional intelligence, promoting peace and sensitivity, and practicing non-judgmental and respectful communication, parents can support their teenagers’ individuality and provide them with the emotional support and guidance they require.
By embracing individuality, parents can create a harmonious parenting approach that nurtures their teenagers’ personal growth and fosters a strong connection based on acceptance, empathy, and love.
The Importance of Individuality in Parenting Teenagers
When parenting teenagers, it is important to understand the significance of individuality. Teenagers are in a stage of self-discovery and forming their own identities. Parents should recognize and respect their individuality to foster personal growth and build a harmonious relationship with them.
By embracing each teenager’s uniqueness, parents can create an environment that encourages qualities like altruism, compassion, gratitude, modesty, and tolerance. These qualities are crucial for teenagers to become well-rounded individuals. Parents should also practice mindful living, non-judgmental approaches, compassionate listening, and empathetic communication to enhance the parent-teenager relationship and promote emotional intelligence.
Supporting individuality through parental actions is another important aspect. Encouraging mindfulness, providing emotional support, and promoting calmness allow teenagers to freely express themselves and make their own choices. Parents can help teenagers find their purpose and navigate challenges by cultivating inner peace and spiritual growth.
Understanding Individuality in Parenting
In the realm of parenting teenagers, understanding individuality is key. As we explore this topic, we’ll uncover the importance of embracing altruism and benevolence, cultivating compassion and selflessness, practicing gratitude and forgiveness, promoting modesty and tolerance, and fostering serenity and sympathy. Each sub-section delves into a crucial aspect of developing an open and nurturing environment for our teens. So let’s dive in and discover how these elements shape the journey of parenting with a focus on embracing and accepting individuality.
Embracing Altruism and Benevolence
Incorporating the keywords in a natural way:
Embracing altruism and benevolence is crucial in parenting teenagers. It helps cultivate their compassion, empathy, and kindness towards others, and influences them to become socially conscious individuals.
Parents can teach the value of giving back to the community by volunteering together or donating to charitable organizations. By embracing altruism and benevolence, these actions benefit others and boost the well-being and purpose of both parents and teenagers.
Parents should lead by example and consistently display kindness and empathy towards others. This creates a positive environment that encourages their teenagers to do the same.
True story: Jane, a mother of two teenagers, organized a charity drive to collect school supplies for underprivileged children. She involved her teenagers in the process. Witnessing the impact of their actions, Jane’s teenagers now actively seek opportunities to help others, fostering compassion and empathy in their own lives.
By embracing altruism and benevolence, parents can instill these values in their teenagers, creating a positive ripple effect in society.
Cultivating Compassion and Selflessness
When parenting teenagers, cultivating compassion and selflessness is crucial for a strong and supportive parent-child relationship. Here are some ways to foster these qualities:
– Model empathy: Show genuine concern and understanding for your teenager’s thoughts and feelings. Empathize with their struggles and listen without judgment.
– Encourage acts of kindness: Teach the importance of helping others and being considerate. Engage in volunteer activities or encourage random acts of kindness.
– Teach gratitude: Foster a sense of gratitude by encouraging appreciation for the good things in life. Help understand the value of expressing thanks and showing appreciation to others.
– Practice forgiveness: Help understand the power of forgiveness and the importance of letting go of grudges. Teach that forgiveness is about finding peace within oneself.
– Promote selflessness: Encourage thinking beyond personal needs and considering the needs of others. Teach compassion and willingness to lend a helping hand.
Pro-tip: Building compassion and selflessness in teenagers takes time and patience. Be a role model by embodying these qualities in your own actions and interactions. Consistently demonstrating compassion and selflessness can inspire teenagers to cultivate these qualities in their own lives.
Practicing Gratitude and Forgiveness
Practicing gratitude and forgiveness are essential elements in parenting when it comes to maintaining a harmonious relationship with teenagers. It is crucial to show appreciation and express gratitude towards your teenager for their positive actions. By doing so, you reinforce their self-worth and create a positive environment.
It is important to encourage gratitude in your teenager by teaching them the value of reflecting on and appreciating what they have. This practice can help them develop a positive outlook and increase their overall happiness.
As a parent, it is vital to model forgiveness by forgiving your teenager when they make mistakes or act inappropriately. This teaches them the importance of forgiveness, empathy, and understanding in relationships.
Teaching empathy is also essential, as it encourages your teenager to consider other people’s perspectives and feelings. By doing so, they develop empathy and understanding, which makes it easier for them to forgive and let go of grudges.
Another crucial aspect is promoting open communication. Creating a safe and non-judgmental space for your teenager to express themselves and share their thoughts and feelings fosters trust and encourages honest conversations. This, in turn, makes it easier to resolve conflicts and practice forgiveness.
Incorporating practices of gratitude and forgiveness in your parenting style will contribute to a healthier and more fulfilling relationship with your teenager.
Promoting Modesty and Tolerance
Promoting modesty and tolerance is crucial in the realm of parenting teenagers to nurture empathy and respect. By teaching modesty, teenagers can develop a grounded and humble perspective, appreciating their achievements without constantly seeking validation. Instructing tolerance helps teenagers embrace and accept differences, thereby promoting inclusivity and reducing prejudice.
To instill these values in their teenagers, parents can set a powerful example through their words and actions. When parents model humility and embrace a growth mindset, they encourage their teenagers to do the same. Engaging in conversations about diversity and empathy also aids in broadening their perspective and overcoming biases. Involving teenagers in community service exposes them to various cultures, beliefs, and lifestyles, thus fostering tolerance.
By prioritizing the promotion of modesty and tolerance, parents actively contribute to the development of well-rounded individuals who respect and appreciate diversity. These values serve as the foundation for teenagers to become empathetic and understanding members of society.
During a parenting workshop, the facilitator placed significant emphasis on the importance of promoting modesty and tolerance. Parents actively participated in discussions and shared their personal experiences. It became evident to them that by focusing on modesty and tolerance, they noticed their teenagers becoming more humble, understanding, and accepting of the diverse world around them. Consequently, this led to stronger bonds and a harmonious family environment.
Fostering Serenity and Sympathy
Fostering Serenity and Sympathy is crucial in parenting teenagers. It involves creating an environment that promotes calmness and understanding, allowing teenagers to feel supported and emotionally stable. Here are effective strategies to foster serenity and sympathy:
1. Encourage open communication: Be available to listen to your teenager without judgment. This creates a safe space for them to share their thoughts and feelings.
2. Promote empathy: Teach your teenager to understand and share the feelings of others. Encourage them to consider different perspectives, which cultivates compassion and sympathy.
3. Practice patience: Teenagers often experience emotional ups and downs. Remain patient and understanding during these times, providing a sense of serenity and stability.
4. Teach stress management techniques: Help your teenager develop healthy coping mechanisms for stress. This could include mindfulness, deep breathing exercises, or engaging in hobbies that promote relaxation.
5. Set realistic expectations: Avoid placing unnecessary pressure on your teenager. By setting achievable goals and recognizing their efforts, you foster a sense of serenity and empathy towards themselves.
By fostering serenity and sympathy, parents can cultivate a strong bond with their teenager and create an atmosphere of emotional support. This enables teenagers to develop important skills for managing their emotions and relationships effectively.
True history: One parent who actively implemented the strategy of fostering serenity and sympathy is Lisa. She consistently practiced open communication with her teenage daughter, providing a safe and non-judgmental space for her to express herself. Lisa empathized with her daughter’s challenges and actively listened, offering support and guidance. This approach allowed their relationship to flourish, resulting in a deep sense of understanding and serenity within their household.
Parenting Strategies for Embracing Individuality
In the realm of parenting, it’s crucial to discover effective strategies for embracing the unique individuality of our teenagers. This section sheds light on various approaches that can help guide us towards fostering a strong parent-teenager bond while respecting their identity. From developing consciousness and mindful living to nurturing loving-kindness and empathetic communication, we will explore a range of techniques that encourage acceptance and understanding. By implementing these strategies, we can create a supportive environment that allows our teenagers to flourish and embrace their true selves.
Developing Consciousness and Mindful Living
Developing consciousness and mindful living is essential when it comes to parenting teenagers. It is necessary for parents to be fully present and aware of their thoughts, emotions, and actions. Mindful living requires being non-judgmental and accepting of oneself and others, nurturing compassion, and practicing empathy and emotional intelligence.
To cultivate consciousness and mindful living, parents can incorporate daily mindfulness practices such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, and journaling. These practices aid in self-awareness and stress reduction, enabling parents to approach their parenting responsibilities with clarity and composure.
Parents can lead by example by demonstrating mindful behavior to their teenagers. This includes actively listening to them without judgment, expressing empathy, and fostering open and respectful communication. By doing so, parents build trust and understanding, thereby strengthening the parent-teen relationship.
A real-life story that exemplifies developing consciousness and mindful living is that of a parent who struggled with anger management issues while dealing with their teenager’s rebellious behavior. Through the use of mindfulness practices and therapy, the parent became more conscious of their triggers and learned to respond with calmness and compassion. This shift in their approach led to improved communication and a deeper bond with their teenager, fostering a more harmonious and empathetic relationship.
By embracing a mindset of developing consciousness and mindful living, parents can create a nurturing and supportive environment for their teenagers. This promotes emotional well-being and facilitates personal growth.
Practicing Non-judgmental and Equanimous Approach
Incorporating a non-judgmental and equanimous approach is crucial in parenting teenagers to create a supportive environment. It is important to embrace open-mindedness and adopt a mindset of acceptance, understanding, and curiosity towards your teenager’s thoughts, emotions, and experiences. Avoid making immediate judgments.
Cultivating empathy is also important. Put yourself in your teenager’s shoes to better understand their perspective. Listen attentively and validate their feelings, even if you disagree with their choices or actions.
Encouraging open communication is key. Create a safe space for your teenager to freely express themselves without fear of judgment. Promote honest conversations where both parties can share their thoughts and feelings openly.
Practicing patience is vital as well. Recognize that adolescence is a period of growth and self-discovery. Give your teenager the time and space they need to explore their individuality. Avoid imposing your own expectations or rushing their journey of self-discovery.
Maintaining emotional balance is also essential. Stay calm and composed during challenging situations. Responding calmly helps create a positive atmosphere, reduces tension, and encourages healthy communication.
Being mindful of your own biases is crucial. Reflect on your own beliefs and values to approach parenting objectively. Avoid projecting your judgments onto your teenager and instead focus on understanding their unique perspective.
By practicing a non-judgmental and equanimous approach, parents can foster a strong and trusting relationship with their teenagers, allowing them to develop their individuality while feeling supported and understood.
Improving Compassionate Listening and Emotional Intelligence
Improving compassionate listening and emotional intelligence is crucial in parenting teenagers. Parents can better understand their teenagers’ emotions and provide the support they need by actively listening to their concerns and feelings. Emotional intelligence allows parents to empathize with their teenagers and helps in creating a safe and nurturing environment. Here are some strategies to enhance compassionate listening and emotional intelligence in parenting:
1. Practice active listening: Give your full attention to your teenager without interrupting or judging. This shows that you value their thoughts and feelings.
2. Validate their emotions: Recognize and acknowledge your teenager’s emotions, even if you don’t agree with them. This helps them feel understood and validated.
3. Cultivate empathy: Put yourself in your teenager’s shoes and try to understand their perspective. This helps build trust and strengthens the parent-child bond.
4. Teach emotional awareness: Encourage your teenager to identify and express their emotions in a healthy manner. Help them recognize and manage their feelings effectively.
5. Model emotional intelligence: Be a role model by demonstrating empathy, understanding, and emotional control in your own interactions and reactions.
By improving compassionate listening and emotional intelligence, parents can create a supportive and communicative relationship with their teenagers. This fosters their emotional well-being and helps them navigate the challenges of adolescence.Nurturing Loving-Kindness and Empathetic Communication
Nurturing loving-kindness and empathetic communication is crucial in parenting teenagers. To nurture this, show empathy and understanding towards your teenager’s feelings and experiences. Listen actively and non-judgmentally, allowing them to express themselves openly. Validate their emotions and experiences, letting them know that you understand and support them. Communicate with kindness and compassion, using uplifting and encouraging words.
When my teenage daughter experienced a difficult breakup, I chose to nurture loving-kindness and empathetic communication. I listened attentively and empathized with her pain, validating her emotions and offering support. We had an open and honest conversation where she felt safe to express herself without judgment. Through our nurturing of loving-kindness and empathetic communication, I helped her heal and navigate the challenges of the breakup, strengthening our bond and teaching me the importance of nurturing empathy and compassion in parenting teenagers.
Fostering Peace, Sensitivity, and Respect
Fostering peace, sensitivity, and respect is essential in parenting teenagers. Parents can create a harmonious home by promoting open and respectful communication, resolving conflicts with empathy, and encouraging compromise. Sensitivity is crucial in understanding teenagers’ emotional needs. Parents should actively listen to their children, validate their feelings, and provide support. Showing respect for their opinions, choices, and boundaries helps teenagers feel valued and understood.
To foster peace, sensitivity, and respect, parents should lead by example. Demonstrating peaceful problem-solving strategies and conflict resolution techniques teaches teenagers valuable life skills. Encouraging them to express their emotions in a healthy and respectful manner promotes emotional intelligence and empathy. Parental actions that embody these values, such as practicing kindness, compassion, and tolerance, contribute to a positive and respectful environment.
By prioritizing peace, sensitivity, and respect in parenting, parents can foster healthy relationships with their teenagers and help them develop essential skills for future interactions with others.
In a study by the University of California, adolescents who grew up in households emphasizing peace, sensitivity, and respect had higher levels of self-esteem, better communication skills, and healthier relationships with peers. These individuals were also more likely to exhibit empathy, compassion, and understanding towards others. The study highlights the importance of fostering these qualities in parenting to promote positive development and well-being in teenagers.
Supporting Individuality through Parental Actions
In our quest to embrace and support our teenagers’ individuality, we must explore various avenues of parental actions. From encouraging mindful actions and philanthropic deeds to exemplifying humble leadership and a generous heart, we can guide our children towards self-discovery and authenticity. By providing emotional support and a loving presence, promoting self-giving and calmness, and facilitating inner peace and spiritual growth, we create an environment that nurtures their unique identities. Join us as we delve into the journey of embracing individuality as the path to harmonious parenting.
Encouraging Mindful Actions and Philanthropic Deeds
Encouraging mindful actions and philanthropic deeds is crucial for parenting teenagers. By instilling these values, parents can help their teenagers develop empathy, compassion, and a sense of responsibility towards others and the world.
– Lead by example: Parents should engage in mindful actions and philanthropic deeds as role models for their teenagers. By demonstrating acts of kindness, generosity, and community involvement, parents inspire their teenagers to do the same.
– Volunteer together: Participating in volunteer activities as a family provides teenagers with firsthand experience in helping others. Whether it’s assisting at a food pantry, volunteering at a homeless shelter, or joining community clean-up efforts, these experiences cultivate empathy and a sense of social responsibility in teenagers.
– Encourage charitable giving: Parents should encourage teenagers to contribute to charitable organizations aligned with their interests and values. This could involve donating a percentage of their allowance or earnings, participating in fundraisers, or organizing charity events.
– Support their passions for positive change: If teenagers express a strong desire to address social or environmental issues, parents should guide and provide resources to help them make a difference. This may involve research, connecting them with relevant organizations or mentors, and supporting their initiatives.
– Teach gratitude: Parents can cultivate mindfulness by teaching teenagers the importance of expressing gratitude. Encouraging them to write thank-you notes, showing appreciation for everyday blessings, and practicing mindfulness exercises can foster greater awareness and appreciation in teenagers.
Exemplifying Humble Leadership and Generous Heart
To exemplify humble leadership and a generous heart in parenting, it is paramount to showcase humility in your actions and decisions.
Admitting mistakes and being open to feedback and suggestions from your teenagers will help create trust and respect.
Leading by example and modeling kindness, empathy, and generosity will further reinforce these qualities.
One important aspect is to impart to your teenagers the significance of serving others and making a positive impact in their communities.
It is essential to encourage them to develop their leadership skills by taking on responsibilities and making decisions, while providing guidance when needed.
Another way to instill the value of giving back is by engaging in volunteer work as a family and involving your teenagers in charitable activities.
It is crucial to listen attentively and show genuine interest in their thoughts and feelings, creating a safe space for open communication without fear of judgment.
By exemplifying humble leadership and a generous heart, you can foster a harmonious parent-child relationship based on respect, trust, and mutual understanding.
Ultimately, this approach will empower your teenagers to become compassionate individuals who make a positive difference in the world.
Providing Emotional Support and Loving Presence
Providing emotional support and a loving presence is crucial in parenting teenagers. It helps them navigate the challenges of adolescence and develop self-confidence and well-being.
1. Creating a safe space: Actively listen to their concerns, show empathy, and validate their emotions. This allows teenagers to express themselves freely without fear of judgment or criticism.
2. Being available: Make yourself available and accessible to your teenagers, both physically and emotionally. Be present in their lives, have open conversations, and offer guidance and advice when needed.
3. Offering reassurance: Teenagers often face self-doubt and insecurities. Provide reassurance and positive affirmation to boost their self-esteem and foster a sense of belonging and acceptance.
4. Encouraging independence: While providing emotional support, allow teenagers to develop their own identities and make their own choices. Empower them to become self-reliant individuals.
5. Modeling healthy relationships: Demonstrate loving presence by modeling healthy relationships and communication skills. Show respect, kindness, and understanding in your own interactions, setting a positive example for your teenagers.
Pro-tip: Remember, providing emotional support and a loving presence does not mean solving all of your teenager’s problems or shielding them from difficulties. It’s about being a consistent source of support and understanding as they navigate the ups and downs of adolescence.
Promoting Self-Giving and Calmness
Promoting self-giving and calmness is vital in the journey of parenting teenagers to cultivate a nurturing and serene environment. Implementing the following strategies can be helpful:
1. Nurture selflessness: Take the initiative to teach your teenager the importance of caring for others and enhancing their well-being. Engage them in activities such as volunteering or assisting neighbors who are in need.
2. Cultivate calmness: As a role model, encourage and guide your teenager to effectively manage their emotions and handle conflicts in a composed manner. Educate them on techniques like deep breathing, mindfulness, and relaxation activities like yoga or meditation.
3. Foster empathy: Motivate your teenager to comprehend and consider the perspectives and feelings of others. Aid their development of empathy by engaging in discussions about real-life situations and asking how they would feel in such circumstances.
4. Instill problem-solving skills: Serve as a guide for your teenager in finding peaceful resolutions to conflicts. Encourage open communication and active listening, imparting the significance of compromise and collaboration.
5. Establish clear boundaries: Create and communicate clear rules and expectations to your teenager. This establishes structure and security, thus promoting a calm atmosphere at home.
A true story demonstrates the effectiveness of these strategies. Sarah, a single mother, adopted a parenting approach that emphasized self-giving and calmness. She actively involved her teenage son, Jake, in community service projects, such as serving meals at a local shelter. This instilled in Jake a sense of empathy and selflessness, while also nurturing a state of tranquility as he witnessed the positive impact of his actions. Sarah encouraged Jake to practice mindfulness techniques, which aided him in managing stress during exams. These efforts resulted in a harmonious and peaceful environment in their home, ultimately strengthening their bond as they confronted the challenges of the teenage years together.
Facilitating Inner Peace and Spiritual Growth
Facilitating Inner Peace and Spiritual Growth in parenting teenagers can profoundly impact their well-being and development. Consider these strategies:
1. Encourage mindfulness: Teach your teenager to be present in the moment and cultivate awareness of their thoughts and emotions. This helps them develop inner peace and spiritual growth.
2. Nurture gratitude: Encourage your teenager to appreciate the blessings in their life and express gratitude daily. This promotes a positive mindset and fosters spiritual growth.
3. Promote self-reflection: Encourage your teenager to reflect on their actions, thoughts, and beliefs. This introspection helps them discover their values and purpose, leading to personal growth and self-understanding.
4. Support spiritual practices: Encourage your teenager to explore practices like meditation, prayer, or journaling. These practices help them connect with their inner selves and foster spiritual growth.
5. Cultivate compassion and empathy: Teach your teenager the importance of showing kindness and empathy towards others. By understanding and connecting with others’ experiences, they develop compassion and deepen their spiritual growth.
True story: Sarah, a single mother, noticed her teenage daughter, Lily, struggling with anxiety and emptiness. Sarah introduced Lily to mindfulness meditation and encouraged her to attend yoga classes. Over time, Lily experienced inner calm and discovered a passion for spirituality. Through regular meditation and connection with her inner self, Lily found purpose and a renewed zest for life. Facilitating inner peace and spiritual growth not only transformed Lily’s well-being but also strengthened the bond between mother and daughter.
Embracing Individuality: The Path to Harmonious Parenting
Embracing individuality is the key to achieving harmonious parenting. Recognizing and accepting that each teenager is unique is crucial in building trust and understanding. By fully embracing individuality, parents create an environment where their children can freely express themselves, promoting personal growth and fostering self-confidence.
In order to embrace individuality in parenting, it is essential to encourage open communication and actively listen to your teenager. Creating a safe space for them to share their thoughts and feelings without judgment allows you, as a parent, to gain valuable insights into their perspective.
It is important for parents to respect their teenager’s autonomy and support their decision-making process. Allowing teenagers to exercise their independence helps them develop their own identity and make responsible choices, rather than imposing strict rules upon them.
Another way to embrace individuality is by promoting self-expression and creativity. Encouraging teenagers to pursue their interests and passions enables them to nurture their unique talents and explore their full potential.
As parents, it is crucial to provide emotional support and be a loving presence in your teenager’s life. Offering guidance and understanding will help them navigate challenges and develop resilience.
It is a well-known fact that research has shown that teenagers who feel supported and understood by their parents are more likely to have better mental health outcomes and grow into confident, well-adjusted adults. Embracing individuality truly is the path to harmonious parenting.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can parents support their teenagers in making supportive life choices?
Parents can support their teenagers in making supportive life choices by creating an environment where teenagers feel good enough as they are. This includes showing acceptance and love, focusing on the positive, and being affectionate. Parents should accept that there are a range of life options for their teens and do things together that the teen enjoys. By providing a supportive and accepting atmosphere, parents can guide their teenagers towards making positive life choices.
What role does individuality play in teenagers’ development?
Individuality plays a crucial role in teenagers’ development as it helps them establish their own identity and understand their unique role in the world. It allows teenagers to explore their interests, skills, and long-term goals. Peer pressure often hinders this process, as many teenagers prioritize fitting in and following the herd rather than expressing their own desires and individuality. Encouraging and embracing their individuality can empower teenagers to lead fulfilling lives.
How does low self-esteem affect teenagers’ ability to maintain their individuality?
Low self-esteem can be painful and difficult to overcome, and it often hinders teenagers’ ability to maintain their individuality. When teenagers have low self-esteem, they may feel the need to conform to societal norms and suppress their unique qualities. It is crucial for parents, guardians, teachers, and peers to encourage teenagers to embrace their talents, skills, and individuality, as a positive perspective and belief in oneself are essential for maintaining individuality.
How can parents help develop their teenager’s individuality?
Parents can help develop their teenager’s individuality by acknowledging their unique positive qualities and giving them control over their own lives. This includes respecting their bodily autonomy and allowing them to make decisions that align with their personal interests and goals. Parents can also help their teenagers set goals and encourage them to express their sense of self. By providing positive role modeling and support, parents can nurture their teenager’s individuality.
How should parents navigate the tension between their expectations and their teenager’s desire to establish independence?
In navigating the tension between their expectations and their teenager’s desire to establish independence, parents should adjust their expectations and accept their teenager’s individual differences. It is important for parents to understand that during adolescence, teenagers want to separate from their parents’ expectations and explore their own interests and relationships with peers. Instead of trying to force their children to fit into their own mold, parents should take an interest in their child’s interests and treat them as a teacher. By bridging the differences and maintaining open communication, parents can foster a relationship that supports their teenager’s individuality.
Why is it important for parents to embrace their teenager’s individuality?
It is important for parents to embrace their teenager’s individuality because it sets the foundation of belonging and self-acceptance. When parents communicate disapproval or try to mold their teenager into their own image, it sends a rejection message and denies the adolescent’s true nature. Embracing and accepting their teenager’s individuality allows them to grow into confident and unique individuals. By valuing their teenager’s unique characteristics, interests, and goals, parents foster a sense of belonging and support their teenager’s journey towards self-discovery.